I'm an experienced engineer, entrepreneur & operator. I've built great early-stage teams & have created products across a variety of industries such as payments, recruiting, politics, and social media.
I advise startups & invest in a limited few.
I believe economic growth is a moral imperative, and I'm lucky enough to have worked on products & services focused on the economy: Jobstart helped people navigate their careers & find their place, whereas Stripe helps businesses get started, develop business models, and unlock economic opportunity. At Stripe I work on the Issuing team, where we build infrastructure to facilitate monetary spending at a global scale.
Trends I believe in
- The world is getting better quickly, but it is human nature is to focus on problems.
- We all as individuals have a responsibility to focus on the good more, and the bad less.
- Automation is changing every sector of the economy behind the scenes, quickly & durably.
- There is no "right" path for the individual & no immutably correct form of governance.
- All we really need to teach others (+ the next generation) is how to enjoy learning & exploring.
- Built 10 software products using a variety of tech stacks & tools. Helped scale one of them to millions of users.
- Mentored 13 software engineers. Coached 150+ people on their careers across the US.
- 11 years of software engineering experience. 16 years coding.
- 4 years management experience.
- 10 years of UI/UX design experience.
- Over 1.2 million views on my blog & LinkedIn posts.
- Raised $1,000,000 from top Silicon Valley investors.
Comfortable: Docker, Babel, Socket.io, Webpack, Grunt, Etcd, Web Workers
Rusty: Ruby + Rails, PHP, C++, C
APIs: AWS S3, AWS Cloudfront, Cloudflare, Segment, Google Places, Google NLP, Clearbit, Stripe, Sendgrid, Facebook, Twitter, Chrome Speech, Heroku
Strong: Agile + Scrum, Recruiting, Coaching, 1-on-1s, Writing, Active listening, Career development, Software Engineer Training, Conflict resolution, Team alignment & organization, Goal settings & KPIs, Negotiations, Business Intelligence, Budgeting, Strategic planning, Networking
Comfortable: Public Speaking, Contractor Management
Skills: UX Design, UI Design, User Researching & Interviewing, Rapid Prototyping
Tools: Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Wireframing, Adobe Premiere Pro